Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Will You Be My Facebook Daughter?

I recently had a falling out with my father. I finally, after 30 years of being treated like crap by my vile step-mother (hereafter ever known as "VSM"), told her I had had enough of her passive aggressive bs, and that I wasn't going to allow or tolerate her treating my son the way she had treated me.
My father said he didn't want to see, speak or hear from me until I apologized to his wife. Uh-huh. That was right before Christmas, and aside from an unfortunate funeral 2 weeks ago, he hasn't seen, spoken or heard from me in that time.
But today my friends, today he requested me to be his Facebook friend. I have struggled on if I should accept numerous Fbook friend requests: the girl that made my sophomore year of high school miserable (accepted, went through her profile, then deleted her), numerous ex-boyfriends (kept some, ignored others), people that I "wasn't really friends with but didn't really talk to" in high school (accepted but deleted a lot of them, realized I didn't ever talk to them because they were BORING). But a request to be my own father's Facebook daughter? Is this really what life is becoming? We can't be relatives in real life, but we can be Facebook peeps?
So what to do, what to do? I haven't accepted it, but haven't ignored it. I considered ignoring it and then blocking him, but that just seems so passive aggressive and not my style. So it's just kind of sitting there, unacknowledged. Which maybe is the best way to deal with him. He chose to not acknowledge me most of my life, so now he cannot exist in my Facebook world. He doesn't get to look at pictures, read my status, "like" my activity if he doesn't want to deal with the IRL part of the equation.

And as for VSM; if she ever shows up on Facebook, I might have to block her.

1 comment: