Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Top 10 Reasons Being a Single Mom is AWESOME

10. No other adult around to make fun of me when I dance the Hot Dog, sing the theme song to Little Einsteins, or cry at the end of Meet the Robinsons, Lady and the Tramp, or pretty much any sappy movie.

9. I OWN THE REMOTES. All of them. I can flip through the channels all day long, watch Animal Planet, or any chick flick I desire with zero complaints. Once the boy goes to bed of course. Prior to that, he owns the remotes. Must be a genetic thing.

8. When I say I have a headache, it means I have a headache. It's not super secret code.

7. If I announce we are having cereal for dinner, it is met with clapping and happy smiles.

6. I always know who left the dishes in the sink or forgot to take out the garbage. That would be me, on both counts.

5. No one complains when I don't have time to shave my legs.

4. The feeling of accomplishment and pride that I take care of my son and provide for him physically, financially and emotionally. He is happy, loving, sensitive, amazing - and does not show any signs of having the predisposition to torture small animals, be a date rapist, or raid the pension funds of the people that work at his company due to his "domineering" mother.

3. When The Boy goes to bed, that's my time to do whatever. Read, watch bad tv, chat with my girlfriends, catch up with work, go to sleep early...I have much more "me" time than most of my married friends seem to.

2. Not having to argue or compromise my parenting beliefs with someone in order to be "fair". I do what I think is best. Period.

1. The special bond I have with The Boy. He is my buddy, my muse, my heart, my soul. The music I hum when no one else is listening. We are a team, partners, and I hope someday when he is older, we will be friends. For now, I am just Mommy, and that is more than fine with me.

4 comments:

  1. Kelly, I love this post, especially #1. I am often secretly very jealous of your relationship with E. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am jealous of your relationship with E-Man...it's really special what you two have. Pretty sure Q and I would be the same...or C and I. Lub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. Well-written and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just talked about this the other day, so you know I hear ya loud and clear. I don't think people often stop to think about the potential postives in "alternative" family structures.

    ReplyDelete