Sunday, May 2, 2010

This Blogger's Dilemma

When I started this blog, I did it anonymously.  Not only do I have an ex-husband that I don't want snooping around in my nooks and crannies, but I already share a great deal of my life on Facebook and another, much smaller, on-line community based site.  I share pictures of The Boy, of myself, and provide status updates of my most mundane activities.  I talk in detail about sleep problems (The Boys, not mine), ex-husband problems, potty training, boogers, favorite songs and what my kid will and will not eat.  I discuss how many hours he sleeps, what he eats, if he is tall enough, weighs enough, talks enough, can sit still long enough...all of it.  Nothing is sacred.  And I love it.  Love the intimacy and real friendships that have evolved from a bunch of women who found each other by chance.  And I love their miracle kids.  I feel like these people are part of my family.

But when I started this blog, I didn't want it to be about that stuff; I wanted it to be about me. Me. ME ME ME.  Of course my son plays prominentaly in any discussion about myself; I love being a mom, and feel that it has changed me in ways that I am only beginning to understand.  I decided that I wouldn't be posting any photos here.  I wouldn't be talking about The Boy, except in the context of how I felt about being a Mom.  I don't know where this blog will eventually end up; don't know what turns it will take in the future, but for now what I want it for, what I need it for, was so that I could think about and sort through how I feel about being a single, working mom, about my career, about my life.  I looked at some single mom blogs, and some of them are pretty good, but a lot of them seem to be about dating, about men, about dealing with ex's, etc.  I hope to be discussing most of those topics at some point, but I want to explore how I feel about my life.  My job, my friends, my son, my ex, my family -- they are all just a part of it.

Which brings me to my dilemma.  When I started this blog, I figured I would just write and write and eventually, some readers would find me.  Well, after entry 1, I needed some feedback, so I asked a friend that has an amazing blog, the blog that inspired me to start writing this actually.  Said friend linked (with my permission) to my blog from hers (shameless plug: Visit this woman's blog - it is incredible! It doesn't matter if you are a lawyer or not, it's a great read), so the first people to read my blog are, naturally, criminal defense attorneys, who didn't seem terribly interested,  and people that know me - that know parts of me; the mom parts.  I love my friends for supporting me and giving me encouragement.  Love them for wanting to get to know the other parts of me.  But it worries me, too.  I am trying to find my voice, to find my story.  I am not sure what that story is yet and am learning as I go.  What if they don't like these other parts of me that they will meet, some for the very first time?   Will I be, can I be,  true to my voice now that I have lost my anonymity? If I can't speak from my heart, is there any purpose in continuing this at all?  Yeah, I didn't think so either.

So this leads me to the message for my friends:  I hope they like the other parts of me as much as they like the mom parts, but feel that I should warn them: they may not. But remember that the non-mom parts have helped to shape the pieces and parts of me that you do know and love.  I am still the same person, the same mom, the same friend that I have been these last years.  The real story that I want to tell is not about any individual piece or part of me; it's about where those pieces overlap and collide.  Where the pieces are at war with each other, and where they have found a surprisingly peaceful co-existence.  That's the story that is interesting to me, the journey that I want to explore more of, embrace and live each day.  Welcome my friends, to my little slice of the blogosphere, it's really great to finally meet you.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you know that nothing you could post would change the way I feel about you, ok that sounded a little lesbo but it's true. If you were just a boring old Mom then you wouldn't be you! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring it on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep... what they said above. we love all of you, not just the mom-to-the blue-eyed-cutie party of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading about you, getting to know the person. Motherhood does not, and should not, define all of who we are. I like that you are giving a voice to the other parts of yourself....I should take a page out of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about you --- all of you - the mom, daughter, sister, aunt, friend, leader, manager and spouse (maybe someday). We ALL play different roles in life and each of them are given different attention based on our current priorities. I would LOVE to read about your different roles.

    ReplyDelete