Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's The Little Things

It's just 2 more days until Mother's Day; a holiday I am not sure I like all that much.  This is one of those days that I have felt really lonely being a single mom. As I listen to friends talk about what their kids (with their Husbands help) and their Husbands have done for them, I feel quite keenly that this is Just Another Sunday.  Really not a special day at all.  The Boy is still too young to really understand, so while I did get the customary pre-school gifts, which were very cute and thoughtful, I don't have a husband that is busy planning how I can relax for the day,  get me flowers, or ship me off for a spa day.  Nope, none of that here.  My first Mother's Day, my mom had gone out of her way to make it special, with a Lladro figurine of Mother and Child that I have always loved.  My second?  I don't even think I got a card.  I did make plans to take The Boy to the zoo last Mother's Day, and we did have a lovely time, but it was lonely.   Seeing all of those Mommy's & Daddy's, especially families with kids a similar age as The Boy.  It makes me sad sometimes, for what things should have been like for us.   I haven't really expressed this to anyone, I just kind of go with the flow; I hate when people feel sorry for me, or think I am being a complainer.

Imagine my surprise when the Fed Ex truck pulled today, with miniature rosebush, ready for planting, just for me.  The card was simple: Happy Mother's Day to one of my favorite mom's.  Love, x .  It amazes me, sometimes, the incredible friends that I have.  The friends that remember I have no lover on Valentines Day, no one to stuff my stocking at Christmas (that sounds SO wrong), or anyone that plans something special for my birthday. 
I am grateful not only for the love & friendship that the gift & card are symbols of, but also for being reminded that being single doesn't have to mean that I am alone.  


1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! Hope you had a wonderful day with The Boy.

    ReplyDelete